Saturday, January 2, 2010



Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

The last few weeks have been insanely busy. Seth and I spent the holidays driving across Michigan spending time with each of our families. I wish I could report that I faithfully stuck to my running schedule.

When we headed to my mom's house for Christmas, I packed up all every running accessory and clothing item I owned in anticipation for my 4 mile long run on the 26th. My brother and I had planned on running the Bald Mountain Park trails together, and I was so excited to have a running partner. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my running shoes... Next, Seth and I drove to the west side of Michigan to find nearly 2 feet of snow. Luckily, they have a treadmill, so when not eating my body weight in snacks and cookies, I was able to run a couple of miles.

We arrived home in time for a 3 mile run last Wednesday. I was bound and determined to get my miles in- so much so that I strapped on a headlamp and hit the trails at dusk. (not one of the smarter things I've done). Keeping your footing on snowy, wooded trails is hard enough in daylight. Avoiding tripping over tree branches and roots, while trying not to get lost, is nearly impossible in the dark with a wimpy headlamp.

The next day Akitla and I made it out for an easy 2 miles on the trails (in daylight!). Afterward, I strapped on my new snowshoes, and we raced around the park. If there's anything harder than running in snow, it's running in snowshoes. It was insanely fun and insanely stupid at the same time! :)

Now we're headed out the door for our first long run since before the holidays- 5 miles. It's definitely not going to be easy. The windchill is -4'. I think I'd rather crawl back in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment