Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A day behind and a tough run this morning

Our training schedule called for a 5 mile run yesterday. I'm ashamed to say that I skipped it. I've been studying extra hard lately. I've stayed on campus the last few nights until 9 or 10pm. By the time I get home, eat something, and unwind, I'm up way past my bedtime. It's has really worn me out. Plus, it's been snowing like crazy here for the last few days. Morning exhaustion coupled with snowy sidewalks hasn't exactly been the best motivator to get outside and run.

I sucked it up this morning. Instead of doing the scheduled 2 miles, I did yesterday's 5. It was awful. There was a good inch or two covering the sidewalks, and my legs were absolutely exhausted. Putting one foot in front of the other was a struggle.

To top it off, Akitla was extra hyper and excited to be outside in the snow. She was incapable of concentrating on running. It felt like she was always either trying to pull ahead of me, dive sideways into the snowbanks lining the sidewalks, or chase the falling snowflakes. If she wasn't doing those things, she was distracted with [fill in the blank: squirrel, car, person, bird] and getting dragged behind me. On a morning like this morning, the last thing I needed was to have to wrestle with a 30 lb. puppy.

Normally she's a great running partner. I loop her leash around my waist and secure it with a carabiner, and she runs right next to me without pulling. When we're on the trails and have to maneuver through a tight space, she automatically falls behind me and allows me to lead. Not this morning.

Luckily, my legs woke up and switched into autopilot about 4 miles in to my 5 mile run, and I was able to finish comfortably. I hope today was just a fluke. We'll give it a shot again tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'm not so exhausted and Akitla will behave better.

No comments:

Post a Comment